Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Heart Aches at Christmas Time Pt. 1


Watching SeaQuest DSV on the Sci-Fi channel. I remember watching this when I was younger. I think I had a crush on Jonathan Brandis which is kind of sad now thinking about it, but also a bit destined. He killed himself earlier this year or last year. I really loved this show when it was on and it’s a good show! Star Trek is obviously dead for a bit since the cancellation of Enterprise and SeaQuest was a damn good attempt to bring to life another kind of “Other World” It works for me since I’m scared to death of drowning and the ocean provides plenty of opportunities for that and mystery.

More after the bump.


Oh yeah, and the DeLouise brothers! The one guy who has his skin covered with different colored pieces like a turtle shell. I forget what his specific back-story was but I definitely remember the character.

I think this show came after The Abyss, capitalizing on the success of that movie and the progress made on the Titanic wreck.

Another reason I liked this show was how unlike Star Trek: TNG, SeaQuest has a teenage character in the forefront of the show. Wesley Crusher had a major role to play in many of the episodes, but this Jonathan Brandis character seemed to have all the answers and all the mysteries within him given the strong connection to the dolphin, Darwin and the mature nature of his character. Crusher really was learning while Brandis’s character feels like he already knows what to do, a prodigy or savant of some kind who’s on a unique path opposed to the uniformed men and women.

End of Part 1. Part 2 tomorrow.

No comments: