Monday, February 13, 2006

Wonkette, anxiety, and street hawkers


I'm listening to The Majority Report on Air America right now. Janeane Garofalo is finally back from the west coast and her West Wing stint. It's challenging for me to listen to. So much of what I hear on Air America is just back-slapping "We're correct!" speak. Great. Yes. I too believe that the liberal point of view on most things is correct or at least just. And? Next? That's another reason I miss Morning Sedition and Marc Maron so much. There was more levity to it and an openness (at least in Maron's case) to learn and then get fired up to do something about it.

"Philosopher Kings and Queens" was part of Maron's daily greeting. While doing part of my Art History reading, I actually learned something about that phrase! In Plato's teachings and writings he discusses that the "life of contemplation carr(ies) with it heavy responsibilities, for in the hands of the philospher-kings lay 'the welfare of the commonwealth as whole.'" The words contemplation and responsibilites are key for me. And are overlooked, in my eyes. Admitting that you don't know something about an issue can be so humiliating and self-sabatoging and in order to contemplate openly with the aide of your peers, you must admit that you are ignorant in some way. Morning Sedition had that. There was someone you could relate to on the staff in regards to level of knowledge and from there LEARN!

Anyways. Wonkette.com put out a call for intern applications. I typed one out and e-mailed it in. It was a nice opportunity to put myself out there. In the past few days, I've decided to send resumes to a number of places I'd like to get an internship this summer (or just to say hi) and sending this impromptu rambling application into Wonkette kinda gave me a jump start. As well as a chance to look back on some of my un-official accomplishments and say "I can do that? Cool!"

More after the jump

I'm feeling massive anxiety right now. Not sure why. But hearing this commercial for Mike Malloy's show isn't helping any. Air America, I've got to turn ya off. Took another half of an anxiety pill and making some food up now. Hopefully that and going through what I've got to do tomorrow will help. Ah, now the quiet sedation of Wife Swap. Not sure if I'll blog about 24 tonight. We'll see. And pretty soon, I guess.

While walking down the street to buy some new brushes, some guys started talking to me and trying to get me to do some spa/salon deal. They tried SO hard, but trying to get me into it by asking "Where did you get your hair cut?" just does NOT work. Reason? My answer was this: A hotel room in Montana using a pair of scissors. Doesn't get any cheaper than that! Their next question is usually about the expensive of hair coloring. Again, my answer? I do it myself in my bathroom with $10 hair dye from a drug store.

It was AWFUL because the guys doing this promotion were doing SUCH A GOOD job. Handing me the brochure, using my name repeatedly, asking questions that only a crazy person would say no to (Do you like to save money? Do you like to pamper yourself, be nice to yourself? etc.)... I had to DRAG myself away. Knowing that I'm a "mark" or a quota while knowing and SEEING the tools they use...I just can't do it.

1 comment:

RicketyFunk said...

I hate saving money. I do not like to pamper myself. I hate doing things that make me feel good about myself. I am the dirt of the earth.

Ben Folds is playing on March 11th which is a Saturday. Travis would like to go. I don't think that he needs to have a ticket purchased for himself. Since he got evicted from his 2 bedroom apt. and moved in with Betsy, he's got a little money to play with, that and his parents took over his car payment for him too, since they forced him into getting the new car in the first place. Why don't you give me a call and we'll talk sexy about how much better you hair could look if you saved money in a salon. (eh?)
(Heart) Z