Saturday, July 15, 2006

Marc Maron/ Morning Sedition/ The Marc Maron Show UNOFFICIAL RADIO WAKE

On GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP this SUNDAY will be an UN-OFFICIAL WAKE for the apparent demise of Marc Maron on Air America Radio.

The show will feature BEST OF clips from TMMS, MS, and Maron's stand-up CDs. I'll be taking requests through the chat room and be serving liquor. To myself. Not you. :)

(NOTE: If you have requests in mind ALREADY, please leave it here in the comments so I can get it ready ahead of time)
(ANOTHER NOTE: I will be recording the show for the station's archives as well as try to podcast it through an old address of mine and the regular Maron sites... but still try to show up! :) )

8pm CENTRAL TIME on FREERADIOSAIC.ORG.
(6 Pacific, 7 Mt., 8 Central, 9 Eastern)
Show lasts for an hour but get there early and I'll start up some funny.

Grand National Championship is an internet radio show broadcast from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) solely on the internet. Not regulated by the FCC but by strange Millenium Act rules, the leash on us is pretty loose. All SEVEN George Carlin words can be said. All in all, the station is another venue for SAIC students and faculty to let loose, spread their wings, and break into a new medium. Certainly not to make money. Hence the .ORG. Most shows on the station are music-centric playing underground, independent, and completely original tracks.

GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP likes to LAUGH! One hour of comedic music, tracks from comedian's CDs, classic radio-theater creations, and sometimes some strange banjo music in the background. My library of comics grows with each show and requests get an immediate response.

One of the reasons I began broadcasting on FREERADIOSAIC.org back in January was listening to and watching the tragic demise of Air America Radio's Morning Sedition. The show inspired me. Opened my eyes to a new world of possibilities. Raised my expectations of what communication could be... how far it could reach. That's why I'm putting together this Wake for Marc Maron/Jim Earl/TMMS/MS mourners.

Part of the reason people create is to put out a product that THEY would want. That they would wear, listen to, watch, etc. What they like. And RIGHT NOW? I want to hear the reasons I stayed glued to my radio after the opening music to Morning Sedition. I want to hear the confessions and discussions that followed Jim Earl's surreal introductions. That's what I want and I think it's what a lot of other people would like to hear right now.

If I get a lot of response about this, I'll come in early and we'll get an hour and a half! And I'm pretty sure I can take calls so we can ALL SCREAM "AIR AMERICA RADIO AND DANNY GOLDBURG ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE DEVIL!!!"

PLEASE spread this around! Let's CRASH my school's servers with the UN-OFFICIAL MARC MARON-AAR WAKE!!!

BYOB

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!!! I will take any dribs and drabs from any Maron show, but the dream diaries' endings were magical, waking up with strange stuff in bed.

"See" you tomorrow, and thanks again for doing this.

That's MIZZ Gypsy To You! said...

Sadly, I will not be able to make it for the broadcast. I am kidnapping Ol' Zeb and attending the wedding of a fellow (albeit non-blogging)Maron fan on Sunday afternoon. Will it be archived somewhere for us to enjoy later?

BTW, I had an email from JT Larsen and I didn't want to share it too widely because it wasn't really about anything other than the novel he's apparently trying to write (and for some reason seems not to want to publicize...) But here's the relevant portion:

"I think Maron knows I have a huge amount of respect for him. At the moment, however, I'm no longer with AAR -- and, more to the point, we're on different sides of the country.

So, who knows, we might work together again! But to be honest, however much I like to take credit for Morning Sedition, Maron doesn't need my help at this point, if ever he did.
"

Which is pretty darned amazing to me.

Anonymous said...

I see that there are archives of shows at freeradiosaic. Will the Maron show be archived? Does anyone know how to capture the show and maybe put it on a podcast or someplace for downloading. I'm definitely going to try to make it, but with a 3-year old daughter, it's going to be very hard to listen without interruption. I would love to have a best-off Maron.
Thanks for doing this!
Curtis
cavaughan@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

okay.....i have some requests:

Morning remembrance from MS=1/24/05 with James "BREAD" Griffin, 5/23/05 with the voice of Fred Flintstone.

Rapture Watch= 11/25/05 the Cardinal's Radio theatre, and pretty much any rapture watch you can get your hands on!

Pendejo the Revolutionary!!...when Pendejo actually got his name.

and Jim singing!!!

don't worry, i'll email you right now with some clips ^__^. hey, you should do a eulogy for the two shows!
okay, chat with ya later!!