Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I quit Red Bar Radio.

I quit Red Bar Radio 24 hours or so before they were offering me a PRODUCER position.

(edit note: I'm SO fucking glad I quit)

So I'm sitting here on this Wednesday night watching the Daily Show after having watched LOST for the first time in weeks. Why? Because I've been interning or PAing at Red Bar Radio. Throughout my three weeks there, I stuck it through and thought everything was going to be fine. Even after sitting through 3 hours of fat jokes made at my expense (which really didn't bother me as much as I thought it was going to), I was going to stay.

But Tuesday night I quit. Or "resigned" as I wrote. I was as simple with the letter and the discussion as I could've been. I wrote the letter after discussing it with my Dad and my therapist. The letter my Dad wanted me to write had a lot more in it about "defamation of character lawsuits" and dropping lawyer names.

Why did I leave?

Was it because every single one of my friends questioned this from the beginning? Nope.

Was it because I was called a cunt and a hole a half dozen times by listeners on my first night? Nope.

Was it because I was attacked for 3 hours on their Saturday show? Nope.

Is it because I'm in therapy? Nope.

Was it because listeners made photoshopped pictures of me on the forums? Nope.

Politely, it's simply not the right time for me to be at a place like that.

Non-politely, I dislike the show. I dislike the personalities that I interacted with (except one). I hated the kind of comedy they were trying to do. I hated the kind of response they got from their audience and what kind of discussion the show would bring up. There wasn't enough there for me to learn to balance out everything that I didn't WANT to learn. Needless to say, they also weren't professional. If I had taken the producer's job, they wouldn't have let me be a producer. Not the way a producer is SUPPOSED to be.

I'm not going to invest time learning how to create a faulty destructive product that'll only hinder me in the future when I want to create something actually worth existing. It's crap. Well crafted crap. But crap.

With relentless narcissism I listened to part of their Wednesday night show. To hear about myself and OF COURSE the whole thing got torn apart. Made fun of yet again. Harshly. Because I gave them so LITTLE to pick on in the resignation letter itself, the fact that I sent it as an ATTACHMENT and that I RESIGNED were the only things they could mock. The one person who I talked to in a semi-personal manner used the "talking to my Dad and my therapist" that I had talked to him about so THERAPY became the point at which to mock.

But I did stop listening. So in the next 3 days I just need to fill my life with tons of shit that isn't that show. After the three day mark, I'll be free and clean of it.

They say I was an awful intern. That's BEFORE and AFTER they offered me a producer position.

Feh. As Marc Maron says, "If you're ever yelling at a woman, 99% of the time all you're really saying is "WHY CAN'T YOU BE MY MOMMY? WHY?"

That applies to everytime a guy calls a woman a cunt or hole as well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
k.barrick said...

Just an additional note: My dad was one of the few people who brought up defamation of character lawsuits. I DIDN'T.

Not that I couldn't.... the show and the experience is just not worth the exasperation.

Yet another reason why I quit.

"Why can't you be my mommy?"

Anonymous said...

Wow you lost the 'producer' 'Job' on RBR. Count your blessings. You would have quit or been "fired" in a while anyway. I listen to the show once in a while because MD does have some glimmers of greatness. But everytime I listen he has different co-hosts and interns/producers. He won't go far because he treats his partners like shit. He is way to fucking serious about a show that has a few listners. And what's with his obscession with Podcast alley? Who cares? Like anyone who means anything in the mediasphere gives a shit about it and votes. High School all over again for MD but now he wants to be the BMOC. Good luck.

RicketyFunk said...

I think Travis said it best. "How long you gunna hold that note?"

I don't know the people who are responsible for RBR (he he 'rubber') nor do I really care to. It would be like meeting a regional representation of Howard Stern. Or someone who won a regional Emmy. Yay... I shit my pants for less.

I told you that you needed to just forget about it all and I knew you would. The lackluster narrowcasting of hopefuls is something to be ignored.

I have lots more ta say... but yeah... "How long you gunna hold that note?"

((i doubt that will be deciphered))

Dave Stevens is in Helena.