Well Michael Brown pseudo-stepped down. And Cheney got told to go fuck himself.
On a personal note, since I'm the only one who reads this, I may never graduate from college.
It's something my dad said just in passing when I expressed my goal to intern for Morning Sedition next semester in New York. With the 4-year anniversary of coming up this weekend, I can't help but thinking that I'm NOT going to graduate from college. It's been 4 years since I re-entered college in Bozeman, MT and met my best friend. Yeah, I've had things go on that have interrupted my academic flow... I guess I'm just frustrated. This hurricane crisis has only made me question whether or not there are much more important things to do right now. The pessimistic part of me then says that I'm not able to DO those things. But that's not true. I'm just not sure what I CAN do.
Speaking of things I CAN do, I wrote an e-mail to a bunch of different people at the school I'm attending. Basically, it was a bitch letter saying that they're not doing a thing to help and not doing a thing to try to motivate their students to DO something themselves. I received a few responses but days later came an e-mail to the entire student body from the president (of the school or of the student body? Who knows) saying what they have been doing thus far. Really nothing about what students themselves can do and a pretty vague description of what affected students who come from that area can do to get some aid.
This is the same kind of apathetic response that I got in Montana when 9/11 happened. It does nothing to improve the idea or the reality that younger generations care less about current events and politics. It's the responsibility of older and/or more mobilized generations to teach and show these kids (I'm 26 now, I can call them kids) what they can do. What they are capable of. It's frustrating to me. And yes, I'm trying to do something about it.
If anyone DOES read this, leave a comment just so I know which pronouns to use. Keep getting tempted to just write this like I do my journals so... a 'lil shout-out would be nice.
Later.
Friday, September 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment